24 November, 2006

A few random thoughts on the Christmas season...

Oh, Christmas tree!!! Oh, Christmas tree!!!!

Tonight we put up our Christmas tree. Today was wonderful. Not only did we put up the tree, but we rearranged all of our living room furniture. And put some of it back the way that it was before we messed with it today. (I love rearranging furniture. It gives me an adrenaline rush.) And I let Hubby put tacky colored lights on the tree instead of elegant, beautiful white lights. And we ate Zesto burgers for dinner. But the best part about today...I had Hubby at home with me and Peanut all day!

We decorated our mantlepiece with a pineapple. It is so bootifullll!!! I love Christmas!!!!

One small correction to the last blog...Daddy does help Mama make the turkey. Thanksgiving day tradition. And Daddy helped Mama do all of the dishes. And the turkey's name is always Lurkey. Some things never change. And I am so glad that they don't.

I really, really love tradition. I like knowing that on some special days, certain things will always happen. Just like presents undere the tree...Okay, it's nice, but I'm kidding. No, seriously...I like knowing that on Christmas Eve we will always have ham and potato salad. And I like driving around with hot chocolate and doughnuts to look at all of the Christmas lights. And I love getting dressed up just to come to the dinner table for Christmas dinner. But there's a funny thing about traditions...Traditions change. And it doesn't really bother me. Because life changes...so traditions change to accommodate life.

For example...Last year was my first Christmas as Hubby's old woman. (For some reason, that phrase just tickles me...But I don't know why...) So I traded out the tradition of waking up Mama and Daddy to go see what Santa brought for the tradition of waking up in my husband's arms and drinking coffee with him under the tree as we open up our presents for each other. And while I will always treasure the memories of being in my parent's house...I wouldn't trade my new tradition for the world.

Here's another one for you...When I was a child, my brother and I would always go play with all of our toys while Mama and Daddy finished cleaning the kitchen. Now...I will clean the kitchen and listen to my little boy play with his presents from Santa. And I can only hope that Peanut will have brothers or sisters that are as wonderful as my brother - and as much fun.

Some things never change, though. And that is where God comes in. While the rest of the world is constantly changing and life never stays the same...I know one thing that is eternally the same. There really is no shadow of changing with Him. He is the same today as He was yesterday or will be tomorrow. And I praise Him for that. So He will always be there...even after life here is gone. And that is the only thought that keeps me sane sometimes. So, this Christmas, the tradition that I am looking forward to most of all is just sitting cuddled up with my husband and son while we read the Christmas story and praise a Savior who would humble Himself enough to come down to earth as a baby to die a cruel, undeserved death on a cross to pay for our sins. That truly is amazing love.

Don't ask me why I have tears in my eyes when I think about this. I guess somethings are just too great to think about with dry eyes...

No comments: