27 February, 2006

Neck Wrinkles


Britney Spears has a neck wrinkle. And too much make-up on.

The world thought that she was beautiful just a few years ago. Now they mock her. Why the change?

What is beauty? Have you thought about it? I have. I am a vain person. I try not to be. However, I can't tell you that I don't enjoy a good manicure, pedicure, tan, and new clothes. Oh, yeah, and new jewelry. And I must confess that I worry constantly about my weight - incessantly. I have never quite adapted to the idea that I will not look like a tooth-pick. So, these are my confessions.

I hate to admit it, but these past few months have been weird for me. I barely have time to clean house and study, much less "fix myself up." The doctor was pleased with my weight gain, but even though I know that it's my baby, I have to remind myself to be happy about that. Isn't that awful? These are my confessions.

We were talking about the Neo-Platonic view of beauty in Philosophy class last week. It really made me think - even though I think that Neo-platonists are crazy out of their heads, as did Augustine. So, I looked into God's Word for what He says about beauty.

Here is what I found: 1 Peter 3:3-6
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."

Okay, so what does this mean? I initially cringe at this passage. I grew up in a church who still had older members who thought that a true Christian woman should not wear make-up or dress nicely. I'm sorry, I think that those people are missing the mark. Peter didn't say "Don't wear nice clothes. Dress in rags." What he was saying was don't let the nice clothes be what makes you feel beautiful. Physically, I will never look like Elle McPherson. I will never rival Jessica Alba. Eva Longoria will always make me feel fat. And right now, I may be the ugliest I have ever been physically. But that's okay. Because as long as God finds me beautiful in His sight, that's all I have to worry about. I can think of alot of girls right now who I think are gorgeous on the outside, but the most beautiful thing about them is their gentle spirits and their devotion to God.

So, God, thank You for making me feel beautiful today- even with my bigger bum and my neck wrinkle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

bored, huh?

Anonymous said...

Vickie - I have always thought you were beautiful and especially now because you have that glow that only soon-to-be moms have. That glow makes pregnant women gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Vickie, you are certainly not at your ugliest. you are carrying another life inside of you and the world can see it. what is more beautiful than that? and deeper than physical appearance is what's inside. the faith you have in the Lord when you seek him to subdue such insecurities. that's beautiful too! - Erin

TTrotter said...

Oh my goodness I agree with you. (not that you're at your ugliest) In fact, I love you with your glasses and your hair is to die for. And I know shawn still finds you crazzily attractive. --But, I agree with you about wearing make-up. The only part where it may become dangerous is when we make our appearance more important than our creator who made our appearance beautiful initially. If I feel like I just can't LIVE without make-up, which has been the case for most of my teen life and up, then I'm dependent on that paint!!!!! The Lord wants us to be ONLY dependent on him, not money, not our hubbies, not our jobs, not our social status, not our education. Where we find gratification, is usually closely linked with who we think we are. If this makes sense, somebody Holla! We've gotta fight this beauty battle togetha! Stella! I really like you, Vikki Freedom. And I hope we remain good pals.