21 March, 2006

Read this, then read the book....




I would like to make a book recommendation. My Popular Culture prior to 1890 class is reading a book by Horatio Alger called Ragged Dick. I feel as though I am too stressed out in this point in life to enjoy reading anything beyond parenting books. However, this book appears to be one that I would enjoy - despite the long list of things that I still have left to accomplish in the next week and a half. Oh, yeah, it also doesn't hurt that this is one of the things that I have to accomplish in that time.

The book takes place in New York City around the turn of the century. The book was written about a group of boys who had to support themselves, and were - by all rights - homeless. It describes their thoughts, attitudes, and lifestyle. That in its ownself is interesting enough. However, couple that with the fact that one of the characters actually existed. That is where the book becomes more than just an interesting read. That is the point when the book becomes an interesting study of human nature.

The main character, a boy called Dick, is an illiterate, neglected shoe-shine boy. Now, something you must understand - shoe-shine boys are even lower on the totem-pole than news paper boys. Therefore, we ascertain the fact that Dick could successfully write a blues song that would make even the most calloused heart cry. However, Dick sees himself as having no means to self-improvement. That is where a character called Frank (sorry, the last name escapes me) comes in. Frank is a pretty well-to-do young man who meets Dick (if you want details, you must read the book) and suddenly shows Dick that a completely different life could be available to him. Frank provides the key to self-improvement that Dick has been lacking. Therefore, it is no surprise for me to reveal to you the fact that this book deals with the metamorphosis that Dick undergoes from lowly shoe-shine boy to respectable citizen.

However, I have explained all of that only to tell you the most interesting feature of the novel. Horation Alger actually included a "real" shoe-shine boy in New York City as one of his characters. While walking the streets of the city one day, Alger met a shoe-shine boy who he saw as the perfect prototype of his book. He actually used the boy's real name. Now, the boy doesn't hold a leading character role. However, he does appear as a friend of the fictitious Dick. What does this mean to a homeless, hungry boy? Well, here is the significance - it says to him, "You don't have to always be homeless and hungry. Here is a story about one of your associates - fictitious as he is - who rose above this. You can, too." This book was the means of hope to one boy who has probably long been deceased, telling him that he could rise above all odds. That alone, to me, makes the book worth the read.

This is very definitely a book that I will read to my son. Not only is the story-line absolutely fascinating, but the individual subplots involved in the book read as short stories themselves. This book is also an excellent example of the type of book that is definitely meant to be read aloud. That is something which, as sad as it may be, modern books lack.

Oh, yeah - and to finish my very long rant on the many reasons with which I should like to convince you to read this book - it contains something that has long intrigued human nature. We all love the good news story of someone getting swindled. Don't even try to tell me that I'm wrong. So, this book contains more stories of scam artists, robberies, swindling techniques than, perhaps, any other. You might even find that some of these scams are still being used today.

I have taken up too much of your time, so just let me sum the whole matter up now. Ragged Dick is an excellent book that I am enjoying reading. Now, I will end this here so that I may go finish the last few chapters.

Happy Reading!!!!!

No comments: