23 March, 2006

Wow, is this funny...

Today in class, I had the funniest thing happen to me...

I rushed to class today. Since I can no longer - or at least this is what I am "afeared" of- sit in a desk in that room comfortably, I decided to take on eof the side desks in the room so that I could just sit sideways and avoid trying to put my watermellon-sized-belly under the desk. So, this puts me in front of this older man.

Now, this man is an interesting figure. He is obviously retired. I think that he must just be auditing classes for free since he is an older dude. I totally could see myself doing that one day. I can also see myself bringing the whole class chocolate chip cookies and pictures of my grandchildren...But that's a different story. I have been raised with a sense of respect and veneration for those with hoary hair. So, when he shuffles papers the whole class and sighs deeply at every sentence, I just ignore it. I just keep thinking about how cool it is that he is still interested in obtaining knowledge instead of sitting at home exercising his fingers on his remote control. However, after today, I am firmly convinced that his wife provided his sudden inspiration for the quest of knowledge in the form of an ultimatum - poor woman. The old curmudgeon was probably driving her crazy at home.

I don't know why, but every time that I enter that classroom my allergies go crazy. Today, my nose kept itching. Now, that in itself makes it pretty hard to concentrate on the impact of journalism on popular culture of the 19th century. To provide some relief, I just rubbed my nose with the back of my hand - wondering the whole time who was going to be my guest. (Y'all know that wives' tale, right?)

Mr.Curmudgeon leans forward in his seat. I am actually caught up in the impact of the lecture at the time, so I am completely unprepared for what I am about to hear.

"Can't you get yourself a damn kerchief, for God's sake?!"

I turned around - along with about three or four people around me - and just stared at him. I could have understood it if I was blowing snot boogers on my desk, or if I was actually picking my nose...But for touching the tip of my nose with the back of my hand? What?

My eyes went as big as saucers. Even Dr.Shields looked in our direction. Pregnancy hormones almost took over at this point. I really wanted to start crying, and go home. I don't know if he was just one of those old people who thought that he was whispering, or if he just didn't care. But he had said this in a pretty loud voice.

I suddenly had images of me knocking him in the head with my notebook. For those of you who don't know, I don't genuinely like people - at least not rude people. I am really praying that God will help me love people. So, I felt that to hit this little old man would not be the correct mode of action. So, I just started praying for him. Really, y'all, he must be really, really miserable.

And then the comedic nature of the situation hit me. His face held the same expression that I have seen on the faces of little, belligerent children who missed a nap. And my face must have been pretty funny, too. And then I thought about what would have happened if I had stood up, knocked him on the head with my notebook, and sat back down to take notes again. I might have killed him - or at least knocked him unconcious. He's a pretty old dude.

And then I just wish that I could buy him an etiquette book. And tell him that now that he lives in the South, he's expected to be nicer to people. He is not in New York City. However, if he should like to go back there...(His accent plainly tells that he is not from around these parts.)

And then here is what I really, really wish that I could have said to him - because this is what he needed to hear most:
"Can't you accept the love of Jesus into your heart, for your sake?"

And then that just reminds me of something that judgmental, self-righteous little me needs to hear. When I would misbehave as a child, my mom's preferred means of discipline was to banish us to our rooms to copy a meaningful Bible verse several, several times. While I was not happy at being punished, I couldn't say anything because it was the Bible I had to copy. So, I would sit in my room and write, and think, and try not to feel guilty, and try to tell God that I didn't need that verse...It did no good. And I really did learn from that punishment. And now, thanks to my misbehaving and mom, I have Ephesians 4:32 forever engrained into my memory.

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."

God, I know that you are still working on me. And I'm glad for it. Because I need alot of work. Help me to fulfill the commandment to truly love others - even the rude people.

No comments: