03 May, 2006

Breaking Down the Walls that Bind Me...



Wouldn't you say that someone has lost alot of weight?

It sort of makes me wonder why. Did she really think that being thinner was more beautiful? Did she go through a rough patch and think that by not eating she could gain control over at least one part of her life? (Yeah, I've been through that one before. Exercise - and lots of it - also helps give you a feeling of control.) Was it outward influences convincing her that this would add to her appeal? What was the reason?

By the way, I think that Beyonce Knowles is one of the most beautiful women in the media. She always looks gorgeous and well-put-together. Sometimes her outfits are a little more revealing than they, perhaps, should be, but I guess that's just show-biz, baby...

Ladies, let's fight back against the media's ever-present pressure to be twiggy thin. Being super-thin is not necessary to be a complete and total knockout. What most people don't take into account is the fact that a beautiful attitude and personality may cause someone to find you more attractive than a see-every-rib level of thinness.

And, ladies, let's think about this - God created our bodies. He is the one who "knit" them together. Our bodies are His temple. Our bodies should not be our obsession, however. Could you imagine our spiritual lives if we put as much concentration into prohibiting harmful thoughts from entering our minds as we do about letting fattening foods enter our bodies? Can you imagine our prayer lives if we worried about exercising our right to come before the throne of God as much as we worry about sweating away a few pounds?

Believe me - weight issues are something I constantly struggle with. I started secretly dieting when I was about 14. I have been dieting ever since - off and on. I still struggle with the fact that I will never be a "real" size 0. There was a time when I thought that a diet coke and 5 pretzels was a wonderful brunch. It was a game for me to see how little food I could eat - or how long I could go between meals. The fact of the matter is, I am coming to the realization that I have a wonderful man who thinks that I am beautiful just because I am "me." I am beginning to see that what my parents - bless their hearts, the worry that I have caused them at times - always told me is really true. What's on the inside really does make the outside of a person more beautiful.

I am not condoning laying on the couch with a 2 liter of coke and a bag of chips. Wow. In fact, I have a high level of disdain for those who think that sounds appealing. Gross! What I am saying, however, is that we should strive to be healthy. This means taking good care of the bodies that we have on this earth, but don't go crazy if your jeans are a little snug. Too many girls judge their self-worth based on a dress size. Get over it! There is more to life than that. (I am telling myself this, too.)

I was thinking about this in my own life. It is hard to break that thought pattern. You know, the voice that keeps whispering in your ear that you are looking a bit chubby compared to other girls around you - whether you really do or not... I have come to the conclusion that I can sit around and feel depressed because I have put on a few pounds, or I can get out and enjoy life. Come on, what do you think would be more fun?

I hate that all-consuming, miserable feeling that I feel when I think that I am getting really fat. It usually comes around as the result of some other stress in my life. I pray that the next time that I feel like that, God will remind me of what is really important. I know that feeling is going to come back - most likely sooner than later. But, I want to go for a walk (can't wait to be able to run again) and pray, and remember what is important. And ya know what - my dress size ain't it.

No comments: