05 May, 2006

Graduation Day...

Life is definitely changing...

Hubby graduated from law school today. I stood in the crowd with his family and my parents - just watching him. His baby was moving in my belly. My cousin was there - she only has one more year of medical school - watching her brand-new fiance graduate, too. (By the way, congratulations! I am soooo happy for y'all.)

Two years ago, I would have laughed - or freaked out - if anyone had told me this is how my life would be now. Two years ago, this time, I was in a crummy, awful, miserable relationship with someone who constantly stomped on my self-esteem. Two years ago I was stuck in a career path that I hated, but didn't have the courage to break away from. Two years ago I thought that my chances of ever being married and having a son would be near to zero. Two years ago I thought that if I could ever break-away from my home town, I would never look back. Two years ago, my last name was different - and I thought it would never change. Two years ago was a long time ago...

As I sat there watching my husband complete a major accomplishment in his life, a wave of emotions washed over me. Sometimes I forget how briefly I've known him. It just feels as if he's always been there. I can't imagine life without him. It hit me today, that for the first year and a half of law school, he and I did not even know each other. (Oh, we had met...He was a jerk at our first meeting and didn't find me attractive one little bit...) When he started out on this, I am sure that he would never have dreamed that he would be a husband and almost-father at the end. I just felt greatful. Greatful that God did know all of that. Greatful to be this man's wife. Greatful to be carrying his child.
And I thought about how I will not be graduating. And I thought about how hard I have worked - how close I have come to a degree...twice...But I felt as if I had walked across the stage with Hubby today. (Be that as unfair as that may sound.) I know that this is where God wants me. I have asked Him and asked Him - why pharmacy? I hated it. I hated it the first day of classes in pharmacy school. I was miserable - until I finally got the courage to walk away from such a lucrative profession. Now I am two classes away from a 4-year history degree. (Wow, let's jump up and down for that one, the cynic in me screams...) But it may as well be a million more classes. I have a son to take care of now. I can't just leave him to go to class....But for some reason, I really believe with all that I am worth that this was part of God's plan. And so many times in my life, I have come to see that God's plan is always best for me.

Hubby and I had a picture taken with Doc and her fiance. And I thought about the irony there. When we were little girls running around our grandmothers house, or at the zoo with our moms - who would have thought that we would both marry lawyers? Lawyers who had the same classes together - and graduated together? Crazy, huh? No, not really. It's life...

I know that I may just be emotional today. It's been a long day and sometimes pregnant women get a little emotional - at least that's what they say. But, I really think that some day when I'm an old woman, pictures of today will flood my mind. I'll try to put into words for my grandchildren what this day was like. And they will listen patiently - but they won't see what I saw...They won't understand. They will have their own graduation days...their own life plans...their own memories...

No comments: