31 May, 2006

Part 2...

Looking into my bag, I would break one of my rules and pull out my 14k gold compact in public. (Ladies never powder their noses in public.) He would never know - or maybe he would - that it was really recording our whole conversation.
"What makes me so sure I can trust you?" I would ask in my usual nonchalant voice.
"What makes you so sure that you can't? That's just the gamble you have to take, baby."He would answer. And at that moment our eyes would lock for the first time. Darn it! Why did he have to be so handsome! Dark hair, hazel eyes...He was sure of himself - maybe a little too sure, but it only added to his charm.
I would fight to hold my composure. Then, without knowing the reason why, I would hear myself say, " If I've got it, you won't get it before tomorrow - at the earliest." Headquarters had demanded that the goods be delivered as quickly as possible. Why would I want to delay this? There were other missions...I think it had something to do with his eyes...Darn those eyes!
With a little too-knowing smile, he would nod his head. "So, you wanna dance?" He would ask leaning forward in his seat, with his fingers tapping on the table to the beat of the music.
"No, good girls are home by midnight." I would answer and rise from my seat. I would smile to myself as I felt his eyes appreciate my good fashion sense.
"Where should we meet?" He would ask - that same smug smile upon his lips.
"The board walk by the icecream stand on the beach." I would say quietly as I made my exit. It was an awful chance I was taking. What if someone had heard? No more delaying tomorrow. I knew that would have to be the last time I saw him.
The next day would be warm and sunny. I would look warm and sunny in my yellow strapless swim suit. My attitude would be cool and classy. He would be there - his tall, athletic frame clothed in black swim trunks and a white towel around his shoulders. Our eyes would meet, but we both knew that we would have to find a spot where we could just "end up" next to each other. No use having people linking our faces to each other. I would walk up the beach a ways before spreading out my towel and lying on the ground. I would pull my fashion magazine out and admire Oscar's work this season while I waited for him to nonchalantly make his way to my spot.
"Here. Take this magazine back." I would say, passing the magazine at him. He would know that within the pages, the goods were waiting. "I suppose that you will be gone now?" I asked- with a quiver in my voice. What was it about those eyes?
"Not until I do this -" he would say as he passionately kissed my forehead and cheeks. (What did you expect folks? This is rated G.)
"Don't you want to make sure that it is there?" I ask, still trying to play it cool.
"Of course." He would say, valiantly trying to recover himself after being totally charmed by my beauty. And there between the pages of the magazine, he would find it. It was the top secret recipe to the secret sauce on a Mickey D's Big Mac.
"Holy cow! It's just THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING!"he would exclaim.
"Shhhhh! We don't want this one to get out!" I would say, looking around us to see if anyone had heard.
"You're right. The world will figure it out soon enough." He would say. He would fold it and place it back in the magazine. "We will let Big Daddy decide when to reveal the information to the world. Our jobs are nearly done."
"Nearly done? I thought that my part was over." I would say.
"Not until you marry me." He would say- grabbing my hand.
"Oh, yes! And we can have -" I stopped myself. Big Macs just don't taste quite as good after you have realized their secret sauce isn't quite so secret... "We can have grilled shrimp and strawberries and peach cobbler and bruschetta for the rest of our lives! And poodles!!!"
And, ladies and gentlemen, that's how I found love on a top secret mission. After that, we would just be two very fashion forward secret agents working together...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MORE !!!! this is great! :) you may be the next author of suspense!