15 June, 2006

Bad Hair Cuts

I cannot sleep. I feel dangerously violent. I received the worst haircut of my life - and I was charged $50 for it. DO NOT EVER GO TO TONYA AT SALON ON MAIN IN LEXINGTON for a hair appointment or an eyebrow wax.

The first words that I said upon sitting down in the chair were, "I am trying to let my hair grow out." That must have translated, "Please cut my hair above my ears. I want to look butch in the pictures that are taken of me bringing my baby home from the hospital. Oh, yeah, could you make it uneven, too?"

The poor girl even tried to prepare me for the pain that I will feel in childbirth by giving me a heaping dose of pain during my eyebrow wax. I have had my eyebrows waxed at several different salons. Never in my life had I experienced such pain. She applied globs of wax with no particular thought behind the shape of my eyebrows. She then pulled as slowly as she possibly could. This resulted in my eyebrows, and portions of my forehead, becoming swollen and red and bumpy.

When I discovered that one side of my hair was at least an inch and a half longer than the other side, I promptly went back to the salon. The girl at the desk and several other hair stylists gave me looks of pity when they heard the name of the person who cut my hair. I was directed back to Tonya's chair, where she was cutting someone else's hair. She wanted to cut my hair dry - mind you I had paid for a wet cut because my hair is so thick and curly - while I stood up. ( Her idea of a cut and style was merely blow-drying it at the end. No styling products. No time spent straightening it. But lots of money charged for the service, which she charged me for gladly and suggested that I pay her for, but asked me after the shampoo if I really wanted it dried.) The lady in the chair voluntarily stood up so that I could sit down. When it became apparent that Tonya could not correct her mistake, she became rude. I did not appreciate this attitude, especially since I had remained very polite during this whole experience. I left before I forgot that a lady never raises her voice or her fists in public.

So, tonight, I am left with hair so short that I cannot straighten it. (Oh, yeah, little miss bright-brain insisted that layers could make my hair lay straighter. I was an idiot for trusting her opinion.) My eyebrows feel like they are fixing to burn their way into my skull - and they itch like crazy. And I am just praying that the Lord will ease the storm raging in my soul tonight.
So, just to warn you, TONYA at Salon on Main in Lexington (808-4247) is the most inept hair stylist possible. I would not allow her to cut Bella's hair - much less come any where near my hair again. I only wish that there was a more public way that I could let her lack of skill in her chosen profession be known.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

3 posts in 24 hours...you say it don't count because it's last night, but it does so there!