28 June, 2006

Things change, but some some things still remain the same...

I don't think that I can have an intelligent conversation about designer fragrances anymore. I used to be able to. But, it's been so long since I have shopped for a new designer fragrance. (My wonderful Hubby did buy me Vera Wang's fragrance for Christmas. I think that it has become my signature scent. But, I did used to buy a new fragrance every two weeks or so for a little while in my life...)

I do still love high heels. I can't wait to dress up again.

I am not so independent as I used to be. I can't just jet out of the door and spend the day doing what I like anymore. (Think shopping, lunch of cold coffee and empanadas at 3:00pm all by myself, museum trips after that, and maybe a coffee shop after dinner...)

I do still find pleasure in the "simple things"... I like walks down Main Street. I still am in love with the same old house downtown - even though they fixed it up and made it a restaurant.

I feel so much older now - and it's only been a week and a half. Not wiser. Just older. With alot more responsibility.

I am still dependent on God for everything. And the need of God in my life, were it to be graphed, would still be an exponential curve. I need Him more and more everyday - the need is not increasing at a linear rate. It is exponential.

I have a beautiful baby boy. He has learned how to steal my heart and wrap his little fingers around my heart strings. He is my pride and joy. I can't imagine life without him. I love him more than I can tell you.

My relationship with my family has not diminished now that there are other changes in my life. We are still very, very close. I still feel my blood boil hotly when I feel that someone breathes even the most slight word of negativity in regards to my family.

My primary family unit has switched now. My "family" is Hubby and Peanut. I have been blessed with the best husband ever - and the best father for my little boy ever. I love my husband more every day - and am so happy to be building a family with him.

My family with my parents has grown. My husband is now a part of that family - not just someone who I bring with me when I go visit. God has truly blessed me with parents that love Hubby more than I have ever seen a family love a son-in-law. And God has blessed me with a husband who loves my family. My parents and my husband can converse and spend time together without me present. That is a blessing from God.

Pink is still my favorite color. I still love puppies and ribbons and lace and Beethoven piano sonatas... I still want to eat french fries with tons of ketchup. I still want to eat powdered doughnuts on the beach and boiled peanuts at a Carolina Gamecock football game... I still want to buy cute black and garnet outfits every fall. I still pour over the pages of In Style magazine as if it were fine literature. I still love flowers - in all colors and shapes. I still feel nostalgic whenever I see pink roses. I still want to twirl and twirl when I put on a full skirt. I still have the desire to run and run until it I reach the point where I don't have to struggle - and then keep running just because it feels so good... I still love crickets and cicadas and moonlight and frogs and whippoorwills and Orion's belt...I still like to have my picture taken - and then hate the finished product once it is developed... I still have issues with wearing sunscreen... I still think that bubble baths should have lots and lots of bubbles - and lots of chocolate and classical music and In Style magazine and fruit juice in pretty glasses... I still think that the South was justified in its attempt to produce a new nation... I still dream of how wonderful it would be to own a beach house... I still desire to be thought of as charming in the old-fashioned sense...

And, yes, by goodness, I am still the old-fashioned, eccentric (though Hubby insists that I am just weird because I am not old enough or rich enough to be eccentric) girl who insists upon putting family first and personal agenda second (though I may die of having too little sleep) and who will die still having the same weird mix of little girl ideas and staunchly stubborn principles befitting a granny... But, now, I have a sweet little boy and a wonderful Hubby who have to put up with me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo're beautiFUL that's for sho'e! :) .....Yeah its me, Ally :)